Since then, like many of you, I've found myself contemplating this great event that will surely come to pass. We see signs all around us, everyday, that fit well with the many scriptural descriptions of what the times will be like surrounding the Second Coming. It's not surprising that we all perk up a bit when we hear even a false prediction -- and I suppose this is the premise that allowed so many good people to be misled. The Bible also teaches us to be wary of false prophets, and for good reason.
The Signs of the Second Coming have always intrigued me. There have been periods throughout my adult life that I have read everything I could get my hands on to learn more. Still, I've never been able to figure out exactly the sequence, or how these signs will be made manifest. I don't feel bad about this either, as I know that I am among lots of good company, in my failure. I've since left the study of the last days and signs of the times by the wayside. Meaning, I no longer dwell on these things, but watch and wait...
At the April 2004 LDS General Conference, Dallin H. Oaks, an Apostle of the Lord, addressed this very topic. The LDS Newsroom just released a video clip from that talk, entitled: Second Coming of Jesus Christ. No doubt this is in response to many online inquiries about what Mormons believe about the end of the world and/or the Second Coming.
Elder Oaks does a masterful job of breaking through that which can seem confusing and overwhelming information, about the Savior's return -- down to four points that he describes as "indisputable" to Latter-day Saints:
- The Savior will return to the earth in power and great glory to reign personally during the millennium of righteousness and peace.
- At the time of His coming there will be a destruction of the wicked and a resurrection of the righteous.
- No one knows the time of His coming.
- The faithful are taught to study the signs of it and to be prepared for it.
He then lists some of the important signs that Biblical and modern prophecy have identified that we should be watching for:
- 1. The fulness of the gospel restored and preached in all the world for a witness to all nations.
- 2. False Christs and false prophets, deceiving many.
- 3. Wars and rumors of wars, with nation rising against nation.
- 4. Earthquakes in divers places.
- 5. Famine and pestilence.
- 6. An overflowing scourge, a desolating sickness covering the land.
- 7. Iniquity abounding.
- 8. The whole earth in commotion.
- 9. Men’s hearts failing them.
Anything here look familiar to you? It's no wonder then that we should be about the business of making sure that we are spiritually prepared, as individuals.
Please consider sharing this video with your family and friends -- of which no doubt, many are themselves contemplating these same things, too.
Elder Dallin H. Oaks: Preparation for the Second Coming
Continue reading at the original source →